What is a Registered Importer and why do I need one?

A Registered Importer is an individual or company that has been granted a license to import motor vehicles into the U.S.A. by the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHSTA). Registered Importers are the only people legally allowed to import motor vehicles into the U.S.A. as outlined in the code of Federal Regulations title 49 Part 592.

What information do you need from me to import the vehicle?

A Vehicle Information Sheet must be completed with the following information:

  • Seller's full name, address (NO PO BOX) and phone number
  • Buyer's full name, address (NO PO BOX), phone number, and Social Security Number or Federal ID Number
  • Vehicle make, model, year, manufacturer date, and VIN
  • Mileage (indicate MPH or KM)
  • Gross vehicle weight (front, rear, and total)
  • Tire size, rim size, and PSI (front and rear)
  • Port of crossing
  • Picture of the manufacturer's label located on the driver's side door/door jam
  • Recall letter from the manufacturer or dealer starting there are no open safety campaigns. If there are any open safety campaigns they must be repaired before entering in the U.S.A.
  • Copy of the Canadian Ownership
  • Bill of sale
  • Speedometer must have MPH scale but does not have to be predominate

What happens once my vehicle is cleared with U.S. Customs?

After the Customs Officer give you permission to proceed, you must report with the vehicle to our facility for vehicle inspection, pictures, and labeling.

How do I register the vehicle once I get it into the U.S.A.?

Stonewell Corp. will provide you with a Customs Entry 7501 form. We will also provide any other necessary documents to take to a DMV in your home state. Documentation varies from state to state. Please check with your local licensing department for proper documentation requirements. Stonewell Corp. also provides title services for imported vehicles.

What are the fees to import a vehicle from Canada into the U.S.A.

The fee for importing will vary depending on the vehicle and accuracy of information. Your price includes all neccessary customs paperwork and brokerage fees for importation. There are no duty fees for any vehicle manufactureed in North America. This may be determined if the first character in the VIN begins with a 1,2,3,4 or 5. If your vehicle is manufactured outside North America, please call for a specific duty rate.